So today’s the day I turn 23. When I was younger, I always thought I’d have my life together by now. I’d be living with my boyfriend, be in a stable relationship and thinking about having kids. Funnily enough, none of this has happened. I still live at home with my parents, do not have a boyfriend and kids are about as far off my mind as riding off in the sunset with a unicorn. And I’m okay with all of it.
22 was a good year for me, it was the year I embarked on my first solo trip, went from a long-haired to a medium-length hair girl and started my blog. I felt every emotion possible, to good, the great, the bad and the worse. But it was all worth it, because I am now here, stronger than I’ve ever been.
Though 23 years is not a very long time in the grand scheme of things, I have learned quite a few lessons and am here to share my oh so wise wisdom. Here are 23 things I learned in 23 years:
- You’re not as important as you think. No one is thinking about your every move.
- Make making yourself happy your first priority. You matter the most.
- Always be nice to someone who’s new in town, they will appreciate it so much and you’re gaining a new friend!
- Turn your social media notifications off and give yourself a break from constantly checking your phone.
- When solo traveling you will learn so much about yourself. It will push you out of the damn comfort zone you’re hiding in.
- It’s okay to miss home, when you’re abroad.
- Don’t strive for perfection every time, you will only disappoint yourself.
- Don’t hold in all of your creative self. Start the blog or whatever you’ve been wanting to do.
- It’s okay not to know what you exactly want to do in 5 years. Get some courage and visit that information event of a further education.
- Energy drinks are the devil and are not good for you. Especially mixed with alcohol.
- Feminism rocks!
- Your inner circle is all about quality and not quantity.
- Take the damn make up off and brush your teeth after a night out. Your sheets, skin and over all feeling will thank you when you wake up.
- It’s okay to have a one night stand and you’re not a slut because of it.
- Eat more veggies, it will just make you feel so much better but also
- Go for the burger if you want, it’s all about the balance.
- “No” is one of the most important words and is not used enough. Use it more often for things you simply don’t want to do.
- Say “yes” more often, it’s one of the most important words to open new doors for you.
- Time flies, it feels just like yesterday since you’ve graduated and now you’re 23! Appreciate every memory you get to make during your time on this earth.
- A night in by yourself is actually fucking awesome.
- Surround yourself with people and an environment that inspires you.
- I have learned that going out on a weekday is actually fun and can take your mind off of work. Of course work is important, but so are the memories that you’re making with your friends. And hey, you’ll have a good story for the office as well!
- Last but most definitely not least: Life’s short and 23 came so fast, the years are just going to fly by, so enjoy the ride!